7.14.2014

pitching my flat tarp

This weekend was my first time pitching my 8 x 10 silnylon flat tarp from BearPaw Wilderness Designs. My main reason for choosing a BearPaw tarp was the configuration of perimeter and side-panel tie outs.

My tarp weighs 15.3 oz. The provided tarp sack weighs 0.3 oz.

To pitch the tarp, I brought along 36 feet of 1mm tarp cord (four 6-foot lengths, four 3-foot lengths) and 6-8 stakes.

Here are five pitches.

A-Frame















Closed A-Frame (front door flaps)















Windbreak















Half-Mid















Flying Half-Mid






4 comments:

  1. How did you like it compared to the poncho/tarps? (http://sub-10.blogspot.com/2013/03/stubbe-springs-loop-and-poncho-tarp.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poncho tarp was about half the width of the bearpawwd--about 8x5 compared with 8x10. I'm 6' tall and found the poncho a pretty small shelter. I find the 8x10 tarp pretty spacious no matter the configuration, however.

      Delete
  2. And, did you ever end up trying out the Six Moon Wild Oasis and/or ZPacks Hexamid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the wild oasis and like it a lot. But if you are over 6 feet tall, the angle at the head and foot might be a little too low. Looking forward to checking out your blog. Thanks.

      Delete